J1 Visa student insurance USA by AVI International insurance
What documents to provide with the application? Is a US insurance required? Here are the new prerequisites for student J1 visa application procedure and required student insurance for the USA.
A student J1 visa is required in case of:
- Participation in an exchange program,
- Internship (paid and unpaid)
- Au pair program,
- Summer job,
- Research, assistantship or medical studies
What documents to provide with the application? Is a US insurance required?
Registering in an educational institution or exchange program in the US is required before obtaining the visa.
The State Department has created a website on educational and cultural exchanges, which presents the several types of programs and appropriate means for searching for a sponsoring organization. The Embassy also offers a list of organizations representing J1 programs in France.
You will need to request an interview with the US Consulate and provide:
- Passport and identity photograph less than 6 months-old.
- Documents proving the validity of your registration in the program.
- Certificates of diplomas or qualifications and a description of the study program in the case of an application as part of a training program.
- Proof of your desire not to settle in the US (documents proving ties in France)
- A certificate of a USA study insurance.
What USA insurance is required for the J1 Visa ?:
The requirements in terms of insurance were recently amended by the American government. Your sponsor will have to offer you USA study insurance. Any holder of a J1 visa has until mid-May 2015 to subscribe a US student insurance which meet these new criteria (such as AVI International):
- Medical expenses coverage US $ 100,000 minimum.
- Medical evacuation US $ 50,000 minimum.
- Maximum US $ 500 deductible by accident or illness.
- Repatriation of remains US $ 25,000 minimum.
All USA study insurance offered by AVI International insurance already met all these requirements. A travel insurance certificate is sent by email to you upon subscription of the insurance policy.
Follow us on social networks
Read AVI International travel news, travelers info, advice and tips from globe-trotters, before you leave.
Also of related interest: